Tuesday, May 22, 2007

that would make one in a row

Southern Shores, NC - A bright and blue clear sunny morning at the Outer Banks, I'm the first one up today

Its a nice feeling to wake up to the sound of the ocean.

Last Sunday, I woke up dead last, as the Leaders tend to be early risers. I had some coffee and read about how Atlanta and Boston had split their doubleheader with tit-for-tat laughers. The Sox won the first game 13-3, and Atlanta answered by taking the night game 14-0. Matsuzaka pitched well in the first game, and John Smoltz got his 199th win in the second.

The t-ball party a memory, Steve and Michelle picked up the odd juice box and beer bottle from the back yard. The party had been a success. I packed up my things, once more, and left town. The traffic was nonexistant, as it seemed everyone was at church. From Atlanta, I took the 20 to 95, and then 95 to Fayetteville. The drive was pretty unremarkable, alothugh I did make excellent time. I'm not sure if I even stopped in South Carolina, I remember passing through it pretty quickly. I was in Fayetteville in no time.

Fayetteville, NC is more or less a military town, as it is right next to Ft. Bragg. Heather and I went to high school together at Bonny Eagle. After graduating in '95, she went to Colby College in Waterville, ME, while I went to Rutgers. After graduating from Colby, Heather and her friend Adam started renting a house in San Mateo, but they needed another roommate to fill the third bedroom. Heather asked me, and it took me about two days to decide I'd do it. A few months later, I'd set out on my first cross-country trip in an '88 Honda Accord. That car was in far worse shape than the Integra is now, and it survived. Chad and I made it from Jersey to Californina in seven days. That pace seems remarkable to me now. Those are some long driving days.

So anyway, Heather and her doggie Jake greeted me later that afternoon. It was nice to catch up a bit with my old friend and play with her dachshund/chihuahua mix "designer dog." She had emailed me a week earlier, asking what I wanted for dinner the night I was visiting. Without hesitation, I answered "rib-eye steak, baked potatoes, and a spinach salad." This meal was more or less a staple back home in SF. The dinner was marvelous.

Later on, Heather and I watched "The Graduate", which I had brought along on the trip. Such a classic. Dustin Hoffman and that Alfa Romeo. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Spider)

The next day ended up being a much longer and more difficult drive than I'd expected. My normal routine, when traveling, is to stop at the first Starbucks I see and get directions via the internet. However, along this particular trip I didn't see a single one. I must've stopped at four or five different promising-looking exits to no avail. I got lost in Rocky Mount for twenty minutes or so when a contact popped out. Finally I called Chad and got directions from him, which I probably should have just done in the first place.

It took about another three hours to get to Southern Shores, which is just north of Kitty Hawk. My mood steadily improved as I drove past long swampy/beachy marshes and sleepy beach communities. The best part was cruising over the long bridges which connect the mainland to the outer bank islands. They go on for miles and miles and have gorgeous views across the sea.

I pulled into the beachhouse driveway and was greeted by my previous roommates Chad and Chris. After I graduated from school, I lived with Chris and Chad in a condo at the outskirts of New Brunswick. The condo was really nice, but the neighborhood was sketch-ville. After about six-months there I moved to California.
The beachhouse is awesome, its a block from the beach and has a pool and hot-tub. I could see that someone had set up a horseshoe pit off the side of the driveway. Chad was pitching shoes.

Chris and Chad gave me the tour of the place and beers were had. I was happy to have a place to stay for more than a couple days. From there on things were less complicated. Horseshoes, pool, beachwalking, beers, grilling, and so on. Later in the night, the group of us decided it was time to do some cannonballs. I was pretty pleased with the enthusiams the team had, and we did many timer-shot dives. Fun. Super fun. I would watch the little orange light on the Canon and give everyone the go.

I was excited for the week ahead. It felt like a vacation from my vacation.

This morning I went for a run along the beach and drank a whole bunch of coffee. Chad, Helen, and I went for a walk to the pier. Now we're doing a horseshoe marathon in the front. This is just a little slice of heaven.
To see all the pictures from Fayetteville and the outer banks:
More soon.
Andy









1 comment:

Zachary Minick said...

say hi to Chad and Hellen for me. Tell Chad I have a whole bunch of new music, and I can send some out to him if he'd like...