Sunday, March 25, 2007

summertime in the city







San Francisco, CA - A cool, overcast, and misty day in SF. Lets get this started

Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday this last week were glorious in San Francisco (photos taken friday). Warm weather, pretty sunsets, and no job. Doesn't get much better than that. Nope. No sir. Its been about a week and a half since I finished with my job with J&J and I'd say I've managed to relax a little. I'm starting to get some new anxiety dreams though, set at my last job, which make a nice addition to my existing collection of waiting table and college exam dreams. I dream that everyone I worked with is back there, expecting me to return, as though it were a part of the severance that I didn't fully grasp...the horror.

But, in waking life I'm trying to soak up as much of San Francisco as I can during this rare period of my life. Its so much fun to explore and observe the city during the work week. I've spent the last six years of my life working in Redwood City and have had few chances to roam the city mon-fri.

Ok, so, the roadtrip. My plan for the roadtrip goes something like this: At mid-April I depart SF for camping in the southwest. Yosemite, Joshua tree, Bryce Canyon, and Zion are the national parks I'm targeting. At the end of April I go to the Coachella Music Festival:

http://www.coachella.com/

After that I take off for the southeast, via 10 or 20, Vegas, Austin, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Miami are destinations I have in mind right now. After that I head up the coast, with stops in New Jersey, New York, and Boston before I reach Maine. Ah Maine. I'll spend a couple weeks in Maine visiting my family and camping. After that I'll head for Washington state, taking the northern route, maybe 90. Then I head back down to SF. The trip should take about two months, and, obviously, there are still a lot of details to iron out.

I want to camp as much as possible along the way (or stay with friends). I want to see as many old movie houses/palaces as I can along the way, as well as a bunch of baseball. Camping, movies, baseball, friends, and family. Thats the outline of my trip. I want to see America. I mean, I want to take a good look at America. And write about it. I've been dreaming of taking a trip like this for years, pretty much right after I drove across the country, moving to California, with my good friend Chad. That trip opened my eyes in a big way, and we were only on the road for a week or so.

Imagine what I could do with two months?

That question keeps me up at night sometimes, I get so damn excited. But, for now I'm not yet done relaxing in San Francisco. I'm going to play tourist in my own city for the next couple of weeks.

More soon.

Andy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy ---- Wouldn't you just know that the first person to sign on to your blog would be your own Mum?

The trip sounds fantastic - something that few of us get to do in our lifetimes. *one concern - please don't camp on the ground in southern Florida - better yet, sleep on top of your car! They grow their reptiles very large in that part of the country!*

I loved the pictures that you have posted so far, even though you do seem to have quite an obsession with your old white car. To be honest, we couldn't afford the axle upkeep on our Integra, either. All Integras of that vintage should have come with a dozen or so axles stored in the trunk as a good will gesture from Handa.

I look forward to your upcoming trip and all of your glib commentary and great pictures.

I must warn you that I plan to pass this URL along to a small group of friends who live all over the world. Should you ever need any advice - just ask, and it will come pouring in; all together we have hundreds of years of motherly advice that we are so eager to pass on.

More later kiddo.....Mum

Unknown said...

Hi Andy,

I am Raemary, otherwise known as Bad Kate, and one of the friends your mum mentioned. I am Australian and very interested in your trip, so far your blog is very interesting, and I am looking forwward to reading much more.

Good luck with those 'fricken' axles ;)

And a safe journey to you

Rae

pilvikki said...

hi andy!

i'm one of your mother's strange friends and i have no knowledge of that part of the continent, so this will be very interesting reading for me.

so, have you left yet? [waiting for more input.]

meanwhile, recommended reading: "how to change axles on roadside." perhaps you ought to take axles and an an axel with you?

beautiful pictures!

thanks and happy travelling!

pilvikki