Wednesday, June 13, 2007

3:29 am

Portland, ME - A cool and overcast night, in a city that usually sleeps.

Overall, the last few days have been pretty low key. It has been an absolute pleasure staying with my sister's family this last week. I've had the opportunity to spend more time with family and friends than I usually do in a typical trip to Maine. Surprisingly, the weather in Maine has been cooler than expected. Its nearly the solstice now, and still the nights in Maine have been chilly.

I admit, I'm beginning to feel a little restless to hit the road again. Its been nearly two months now since I left San Francisco, and I miss my family back there. While I'm excited to see the sights along America's northern rim, at this moment I'm looking forward most to crossing the Golden Gate Bridge and returning to my home on 10th Avenue. It should only be a few weeks now.

Ahem. But, back to the Great Lost Bear.

On Saturday evening, I went to the Great Lost Bear with my sister, Jack, and their friends Dave and Lisa. With Jake and Sam under the attention of D&L's teens Michael and Kaitlyn, we had ourselves a grown-up night out. The GLB is a nostaligic favorite of mine. I remember going there for the first time as a teen with Jack (way before Jake and Sam were in the picture) and I've loved the place ever since. The GLB is impressive most for its large selection of Maine microbrew beers on tap. It also boasts a gigantic menu. Typically, dinner will entail a beer or two and a plate of buffalo wings and super nachos. This night was no exception.

After dinner, we drove over to the Eastland Hotel in downtown Portland for a nightcap. The lounge at the "Top of the East" features one of the best views of Portland and Portland Harbor. We had fun sipping drinks and gazing downward on Portland at night.

On Sunday, Sarah, Jake, and I took Maggie Mae to a nearby dog-walking park for a little exercise. The park features a loop appoximately one-mile in length, as well as a smaller fenced-off area for letting one's dog go free. The three of us jogged around the loop, noticing that several other folks were there to photograph birds. We saw one ornithological-minded fellow wearing full camoflauge and carrying a high-powered telephoto type camera. With all the dogs running about, we doubted he would see too much. Ah well. After the jog, we stood around and watched some dozen or so dogs pounce and play within the fenced-off area.

Later in the day, I took the white wonder for a little drive down to Medway, Massachussets (just outside the greater Boston area) to visit with my longtime friend Alex and his wife Marissa. Its funny, but after driving for so long across the country, a two hour drive feels like a trip to the grocery store. Just a hop and a skip, really.

Alex and I have been friends since high school, he's one of only three or four friends I still have from Bonny Eagle. Almost exactly a year ago, I'd flown out to the east coast for Alex and Marissa's wedding in Connecticut. The wedding was a lovely affair. At their home in Medway, I could see that the two of them were still getting settled in their new home. They had only moved into the place last January. While getting the tour, I noticed the pool in their backyard and knew that a canonball was in my future. We spent some time catching up and watching the Red Sox game on the tube, it was the third game of their series against the Diamondbacks (they would end up losing this one 5-1, but won the series 2-1).

Afterwards, they took me to a local restaurant called Incontro. We were uncertain as to what the name meant exactly, but enjoyed our dinner immensely. Later back at theirs', Alex and I did some music exchanging. Alex had prepared a roadtrip playlist for my trip. I moved it onto my iPod and decided to save it for the right moment on the road. That night I slept like a rock, the sound of a nearby stream lulling me into a heavy heavy slumber.

In the morning I awoke to an empty house. Alex and Marissa had left much earlier to catch a train to their jobs in Boston. I made a pot of coffee and worked up the nerve to jump into the 65 degree pool out back. After a couple cups of joe, a canonball, and a shower, I headed to Boston to meet with Alex for lunch. Alex works in the Prudential Building plaza area of Boston's "back bay" district. Also in the back bay is Fenway Park, where my dad and I will be returning this Saturday to see the Red Sox play the SF Giants. Its looking like Daisuke Matsuzaka will be pitching that day. Hopefully the Sox can get their offense back to life by then. I even bought a number 58 "Papelbon" t-shirt for the occassion...

ANYWAY, I was rudely cut-off a couple times making my way to the back bay, and quickly remembered where I was. Most of the streets in Boston are laid out so poorly that one needs to be aggressive to get anywhere. Not wanting to fight my way to a parking spot, I drove the white wonder into the Prudential underground lot. Alex and I got a burrito at a place nearby. I had a buffalo chicken burrito and a "strawbana" smoothie. The buffalo sauce was pretty spicy. Yow. Thank god for the smoothie.

After that, I wandered around the back bay for a while, checking out the Public Gardens, Boston Commons, and Copley Square. This was a part of Boston I'd never really explored before. The sun was bright and getting hot, and I had totally forgotten to put on sunblock. Luckily, I've worked up a pretty nice farmer's tan on this trip, and so I didn't really burn much at all that day. I wandered for an hour or two and then headed back to the car and Maine. I made it back in time for dinner with the Lufkins. I had more fun reading "Tuff Fluff" to Jake and Sam the second time than I did the first. (http://www.candlewick.com/cat.asp?mode=book&isbn=0763618829&browse=Title)

On Tuesday morning, Sarah and I took Maggie Mae to Portland's back bay for a run. The loop around back bay is about 3.5 miles, which was just right for me. However, Maggie is under orders from her veterinarian to run only a mile or so at a time. For the first 3/4 of a mile or so, the three of us jogged together. After this, I took off to finish the course by myself. The problem is, Maggie gets separation anxiety in situations like this, and so she tried to give chase. It took alot of effort on my sister's part to hold her back until I was out of sight. The run was great. I should be close to back in shape by the time I leave on Monday.

In the afternoon I drove back to the Old Port to catch a movie. "Knocked Up" was playing at the Nickelodeon Theatres. I had an hour to kill before it started, so I wandered around again for more picutres. The clouds had cleared away, and I had a sunny afternoon setting for my snapshots.

"Knocked Up" surprised me. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478311/) The title had me expecting an out-of-control and flip comedy about unwanted pregnancy. Instead, I was treated to a hilarious and touching screenplay, a great soundtrack, surprisingly good chemistry between Seth Rogen and the rest of the cast, and even a cameo role by Harold Ramis. I would definately recommend "Knocked Up" to just about anybody, although not necessarily in a theater. (A-)

After the film, I got a green tea and read the Sterling Hayden book for an hour or so in a nearby cafe. I came back to the Lufkin's house later to find that my sister had left me some dinner in the fridge. Aw. Thanks, sister'o'mine. That night, my third rendition of "Tuff Fluff" was better than ever. At this rate, I would be ready to take my performance on the road within a few short weeks.

That brings us to this morning. I woke up a little earlier than usual and drove over to Standish to rendevous with my mom. The plan was to pick up my grandmother and take her shopping in North Conway, NH for a new reclining chair. My grandmother lives in Bridgton, ME, a sparsely populated town home to lots of trees, gorgeous lakes, and Pleasant Mountain. (http://www.loonecholandtrust.org/html/pleasant_mountain.html)

From Bridgton, the three of us drove over to North Conway for some shopping. People will often cross the state line from Maine, as New Hampshire does not impose a sales tax on most items. North Conway, for the most part, offers gads and gads of factory outlet stores and lots of restaurants. I was surprised to find that Old Navy had a factory outlet. The idea of Old Navy offering discount clothing was difficult to grasp, since it's so cheap to begin with. While we did find a couple stores to poke through, we did not find a single seller of recliner chairs. I did, however, get some very nice pictures of flowers.
Defeated, we went to a spot called Horsefeathers for conciliatory drinks and lunch.

Reclinerless, yet nourished, we drove back to Maine and drove about the countryside for a while. We even saw the famous Maine roadsign which directs the driver to various nearby towns named after foreign countries. It kinda reminded me of the roadsign I'd seen at the Smithsonian from M.A.S.H. Back in Bridgton, we drove around the Bridgton Academy (a prep school) and visited a farm which has a llama hanging out with some sheep.

After getting back to my sister's, the rest of the day was spent mostly lolligagging and writing this blog. I watched the Red Sox get obliterated by Colorado (Colorado ferkrisakes!) for a short while too.

I've started to plot a course for my return trip. I'll begin by camping in Vermont and upstate New York; followed by stays in Cleveland, Chicago, and Stillwater, MN. From there I'll be camping my way across the north, roughly following I-90, until I reach Seattle. From Seattle, I'll go to Portland, Redwood NP, and then, finally, San Francisco. I should have a projected day-by-day plan ready before I leave Maine.

But first-things-first, I have a Red Sox game to attend. And thats pretty cool.

I wish I could just hug you all.

More soon.

Andy

To see s'more pictures of Maine and Boston:

No comments: