Sunday, June 17, 2007

good times never seemed so good

Portland, ME - A hot and sunny morning, my mind is still spinning a bit from yesterday's game at Fenway. Arigato Daisuke, domo arigato.

My head is swirling with emotion this morning. Yesterday's game at Fenway was the most exciting experience I've had at a baseball game. I grin every time I think of it. On the other hand, I start my westward journey back to San Francisco tomorrow, and I'm starting to get nervous. I remember feeling the same way the night before I left San Francisco, April 15th. I have a lot to do today to get ready. But lets review the last few days first.

Thursday was a big day of preparation for the Lufkin family. Sarah, Jack, Jake, and Sam were taking a plane to Florida the next morning for a wedding. Bags were packed. Arrangements were made for the care of Maggie and Alex. To help out a bit, I mowed the lawn. Thursday was the last day of school for Jacob and Sam, and they wore joyous faces when they stepped off the last bus-ride of the year. Jake and I played some catch that afternoon, and later we all went out for celebratory ice cream cones.

Later on, Sarah went to her class (she's taking some prerequisite classes before applying to nursing school) and Jack returned to prepare a delicious dinner of grilled sirloin steaks and corn on the cob. Ah summertime in Maine. Jack's sister, brother-in law, and neice showed up later in the night. They were all flying out of the Portland Jetport the next day. That night we watched the Red Sox get clobbered by Colorado, again. The Red Sox bats had gone to sleep, once again.

In the very early morning, everyone packed into a minivan and I drove them over to the airport. As we pulled into the Jetport, Sam said: "You know, Uncle Andy, usually its US who are dropping YOU off at the airport." I had been thinking the same thing myself. Departures are always the sad side of every airport. It was wonderful to have so much time to spend with my sister, brother-in-law, and nephews, and I was a little melancholy while hugging everyone good-bye.

Back at the house, I took Maggie for a little walk. Maggie Mae is a bonafide celebrity in this neighborhood. After walking just two houses down the street, I heard a child scream "Maggie!" Katie, one of my sister's daycare kids, ran down her driveway and tackled Maggie. Maggie took the cue and rolled onto her back so that Katie could rub her tummy. Later on, I drove Maggie over to some friends of Sarah and Jack's, where she would stay until the Lufkins returned. Maggie was psyched to go for a drive, and even more excited to be reunited with some of her doggie friends.

After a shower, I drove downtown to pick up some lobsters for dinner in Standish. On the way, I stopped at an Irish pub called Brian Boru for lunch and a Guinness. I was a great day in Portland. The sun was shining. Seagulls were crying overhead. The pungent smell of the Atlantic was conspicuous. I went to the Harbor Fish Market and picked up some pound-and-a-quarter lobsters and then headed to Standish. My grandmother joining us, we feasted on lobster, clams, salad, and a tasty desert wine. Good times.

In the morning, I met with my dad and his across-the-street neighbor-friend John at the Portland Amtrak station. We took the 8:25am train to Boston, Fenway-bound. The train ride was a pleasant two-hour trek through southern Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachussets. We rode through small towns, across rivers, and over ocean marshes. I'd never quite seen Maine that way before. It was a treat.

We arrived in Boston around 11am and had a few hours to kill, as the game was to start at 3:55pm. We took the green-line T to the back bay. We had taken the wrong train though, and ended up at the Northeastern University campus before realizing we should get off. It worked out pretty well though, as the day was sunny and warm. We took a pleasant walk back to Boylston St. and found ourselves an Irish pub called "Lir" for a Guinness and lunch. I had the shepherd's pie (C-). From there we strolled down to the Back Bay Fens and, finally, Fenway Park. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenway_Park)

Built in 1912, Fenway Park is the oldest active ballpark in America. As you approach it, you can tell it has an old-timey kind of appearance. Hours before the game, a party encircling the stadium had already started. We stopped to examine a statue of Ted Williams for a short while. Ted Williams was the last baseball player to finish a season with an average over .400 (.406 in 1941). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Williams

John and my dad bought themselves new Red Sox hats for the occasion. We continued out tour to Lansdowne St, which runs alongside the Green Monster. There was a buzz amongst the fans, as it was a picture-perfect day for a game. After loitering a bit here and there, we continued to Yawkey Way, which roughly runs along Fenway's third-base line. A large chunk of Yawkey Way is within Fenway's gates. Before and during a game, its basically a big block party. A jazz band called "Hot Tamale" was playing amongst a swarm of Sox fans.

We entered the park. The tunnels which run along Fenway's interior are fantastic. You can tell immediately that they are not of this time. They're cramped, and have all sorts of odd angles. But that pretty much sums up Fenway Park, its a park with puzzling dimensions. It the complete opposite of the perfect diamond that is Yankee Stadium. When we emerged into the seating area, a huge smile swept my face. It was gorgeous, but funny looking. The first impression I had was that it was the smallest major-league park I'd ever seen. It reminded me a little bit of Pac-Bell in SF, except that the outfield looked funky. In left field is the Green Monster, standing at 37+ feet tall. The left field foul pole is 310' from home plate. The right side of the monster is at 379'. At deep right center is "the triangle" at 420'. The right side of the visitor bullpen is at 380'. From there, the outfield wall cuts in sharply to the right field foul pole, which rests at a ridiculous 305' feet. I imagined it would make a tempting target for Barry Bonds.

After we baked in the sun for a hour or so, the game started. After seeing so many Red Sox games in other ballparks, it was such a great feeling to finally be in the home field. Red Sox fans are a passionate bunch. In the first game of the series the day before, the crowd had given Dave Roberts (the SF centerfielder) a gigantic standing ovation. It was his first time back in Fenway since the 2004 season, when he sparked a rally in game 4 of the ALCS against the Yankees by stealing second base against Mariano Rivera. After that steal, the Sox went on to complete the biggest comeback in baseball history. The fans hadn't forgotten. On the other hand, the fans were brutal towards Barry Bonds. Gads of people wore "*" t-shirts and booed him relentlessly, sometimes chanting "Staaaaare-ooiiids."

Anyway, Daisuke Matsuzaka and Matt Cain had themselves a good ol' pitcher's duel. The only run given up in the whole game was a fourth-inning Manny Ramirez solo homerun over the Green Monster. The whole game was a real nail-biter. The most exciting (and nerve-racking) moment of the game came in the eighth inning. Hideki Okajima had allowed runners at first and second with no outs. Thats when Barry Bonds stepped to the plate, and the Sox fans groaned. There would be no intentional walk here. Okajima went on to strike out Mr. Bonds, and the crowd went nuts. Okajima ended up barely escaping the inning unscathed with the bases loaded. In the middle of the eighth, Fenway Park plays Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline", and that day it seemed as though the entire crowd sang along, yours truly included. Papelbon pitched a perfect ninth inning for his 16th save. It was a happy memory to attach to my new Papelbon t-shirt. After the victory, I was floating a couple inches off the ground. You could feel the collective joy of the crowd. It was good to be on home turf, for once. Real good.

With a few hours to kill before the train back to Portland, the three of us went to yet another Irish pub and got dinner. Guinness and more Guinness. Later, in the restroom, I got a series of high-fives from other drunken fans who spotted my Papelbon t-shirt. You couldn't have wiped the grin off my face from that encounter.
It was the best baseball game I'd ever gone to and one of the best times, if not THE best time, I've had on this trip of mine. I set out on this trip to see America. What could more American than going to a ballgame with your dad? I can't think of one. I love baseball. I know it sounds corny, but I love America. I love my mom and dad, my sister and her family. I love all my friends. I feel as though I've discovered so much, both geographically and emotionally, on this vision quest of mine.

Just how much joy and discovery can a man stand?

My answer is: Not much more. Behind all the adventure and happiness is a homesickness the likes I've never felt before. I need to get home. (I know, I know: aaawww, poor baby...) I need to give Zack and Diane a big hug and tell them everything.

Once I get this blog out, I have some serious work to do. The white wonder needs an oil change. I need to restock the trunk pantry. I need to do laundry and reserve accomodations in Cleveland and Chicago. I need to pack. It should be another late night tonight. In the morning, I'll head west, Vermont being my first destination. I'm excited to go camping again.

Here is the itinerary I have in mind for the journey home:

Monday, June 18 - Green Mountains NF, VT
Tuesday, June 19 - Allegany State Park, NY
Wednesday, June 20 - Cleveland, OH (Phillies @ Indians, 7:05pm)
Thursday, June 21 - Ann Arbor, MI (Michigan Theater)
Friday, June 22 - Chicago, IL (Cubs @ White Sox, 3:05pm)
Saturday, June 23 - Stillwater, MN
Sunday, June 24 - Pallisades State Park, SD
Monday, June 25 - Badlands NP, SD
Wednesday, June 27 - Bighorn NF, WY
Thursday, June 28 - Yellowstone NP, WY
Sunday, July 1 - Missoula, MT
Monday, July 2 - Glacier NP, MT
Friday, July 6 - Seattle, WA
Sunday, July 8 - Portland, OR
Tuesday, July 10 - Redwood NP, CA
Wednesday, July 11 - San Francisco, CA

Ok then. Here we go again.

More soon.

Andy

To see all the cool pics:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great game! Was thinking about you during the game. And a day later you could have seen Wakefield. Amazing.

Old Giants fans never die, they just ...

Unknown said...

We are more than ready for you to come home and tell us everything! Safe travels back this way, my dear friend.

Unknown said...

STILLLLLWWWAAAATTTEEERRRR!!!!!!!1!!1!!!ELEVEN!!11!!!!1!~!1!